Wednesday, July 14, 2010

A Glowing Face

But may the God of all grace, who called us to His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered

a while, perfect, establish, strengthen, and settle you.
(1 Peter 5:10)

Job was blameless and upright man who feared God and shunned evil (Job 1:1, 8). The devil obtained God’s permission to test him. Job lost all his possessions and still feared God. He said, “I made a covenant with my eyes not to look lustfully at a girl” (Job 31:1).

He lived such a holy life. He firmly said, “Though He slay me, yet will I hope in Him” (Job 23:10; 13:15). We may lead a godly life seeking God but still the devil may bring darkness in our life. Even in such situations of darkness the Lord says that He shall make His face shine upon us (Numbers 6:25).

That is why He suffered greatly, offered Himself as a sacrifice for us and traversed through the path of pain, agony and temptation. It was the Lord’s will to crush Him (Isaiah 53:10). Although He was the only Son of God and bore the image of God, He went through all the sufferings on the cross just for our sake.

So it is natural for us to go through the path of sufferings in this world. But be of good cheer. The Lord who overcame this world is with us (John 16:33). The Psalmist says, “It was good for me to be afflicted so that I might learn Your decrees” (Psalm 119:71).

After my marriage, I lost two children one after another. The first one got aborted when it was in my womb. The second was a still born baby. Our friends and relatives who were watching the zealous life we were leading for Christ mocked at us saying, “Although you lead a godly life why God has not blessed you with a child?’ We were tormented by the question, “Why should we go through such afflictions even after leading a righteous life?”

But today it is because of those afflictions I am able to understand and console many sisters who come and tell me, “Sister, I don’t have a child, please pray for me.” Once a couple who have not been blessed with a child for 17 years came to me for prayers. I prayed with much compassion and tears for them and sent them away. The Lord heard my prayer and blessed them with twins. How true is the saying of the Psalmist that he has learnt many lessons through his afflictions.

Dear Friend! Job led a holy life. Examine if your eyes are roaming in crooked ways? Have they become a stumbling block preventing you from receiving God’s blessings? You have to tremble in the presence of God. Just as how Job placed his trust on the Lord, you too cling on to Him. Since Job suffered everything patiently he was blessed in double measure (Job 42:10).

Confess all your shortcomings to the Lord. Be firm in resisting those things that displease Him. Walk in His ways. Then he would bless you also in double measure.

Prayer

Loving Lord Jesus,

O my God, I trust in You. Let me not be ashamed; Let not my enemies triumph over me. Show me Your ways, O LORD; Teach me Your paths. Lead me in Your truth and teach me, For You are the God of my salvation; On You I wait all the day. Remember, O LORD, Your tender mercies and Your lovingkindnesses, Do not remember the sins of my youth, nor my transgressions; According to Your mercy remember me, For Your goodness' sake, O LORD. For Your name's sake, O LORD, Pardon my iniquity, for it is great. Turn Yourself to me, and have mercy on me, For I am desolate and afflicted. The troubles of my heart have enlarged; Bring me out of my distresses! Look on my affliction and my pain, And forgive all my sins. Keep my soul, and deliver me; Let me not be ashamed, for I put my trust in You. Let integrity and uprightness preserve me, For I wait for You.

In Your matchless name I pray.

Amen.

-- http://www.jesuscalls.org/

No comments: