Tuesday, June 8, 2010

FACING THE BULLIES


“God, are you avoiding me? Where are you when I need you?” Psalm 10:1 MSG

We all go through storms! We can either blame God for the storm, or allow Him to be our source of strength in the storm. As we read Psalm 10, we see the frustration on David as he watched the bullies of his day getting away with their evil plans, while God seemingly stood idly by -- “doing nothing.” Do these thoughts ever come to your mind? “Where’s God, when I need Him?”
In his frustration, David called on God to raise His hand against these evildoers, on behalf of the victims! God’s arm and hand represent His power and strength. The Bible refers to God’s mighty right hand, when telling the story of Moses’ defeat of the pharaoh of Egypt. David is saying, “Lord, strike them, again.” We have all felt like that, at times. David is really “ratting” on these bullies in his land. God told one preacher to quit complaining and calling it prayer. It is so humorous how we go to God with stuff we call “prayer.” It often turns out to be a gripe session, or our requisition list of things we want done.

There are days we will never forget! President Roosevelt declared December 7, 1941, was “a day that would live in infamy.” There was John F. Kennedy’s assassination! Then, there was the day Christa McAuliffe’s life came to such a tragic end, along with the other astronauts of the space shuttle, Challenger. Then, there was the morning we all turned on our televisions to see a Boeing 747 fly into the World Trade Center, and watched people leap to their deaths. At church that night people came, not so much to pray, but to just be comforted in their spirits that this was not the end of the world. I remember preparing a message that week, as God led me to the thought, “I know who holds tomorrow.” So many asked and continue to ask whenever they are faced with tragedy, “Where’s God?”

Everyone faces bullies in life, but we are not defenseless! God’s mighty arm moves on behalf of those, who call for help. Are you facing such a situation? Lean on the One, who is your strength. Commit yourself into the care of God. He is your defense!

WISDOM WORD: “Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.” ~ Jesus Christ

TODAY’S PRAYER: “Father, I give all my cares over to You, for I know You know what is best for me. Keep me in the center of Your care, In Jesus’ Name, Amen!”

No comments: